Monday, June 24, 2013

Hawaii Day 1

I just really don't feel like I should be blogging. We are moving in a week! But I really want to get these pictures on the blog before we disappear into the moving abyss. For the first time since our honeymoon, Nate and I took a vacation together, just the 2 of us. Kami watched our kids for us from Sunday night till Thursday morning, and then my mom, Aunt Robin, and my cousin Grace came for the last 2 days.

We left on a Sunday evening and even just being kidless at the airport felt like fun times to me. We had a 6 hour flight to Honolulu that was a little long and uncomfortable, but I loved having so much time to read. I finished one of my favorite books of all time, Unbroken.

We picked up our rental car late that night (a white Ford Mustang convertible-so fun), and spent the night in Honolulu. It was really overcast and cloudy when we woke up, but I learned that the clouds come and go quickly. It sure was humid.


We hadn't planned out where we would eat every day, and after leaving our hotel we just cruised around until we found some delicious breakfast. My favorite part was the coconut pancakes.

We spent a lot of the first half of the day driving around and stopping at beautiful places. I didn't mind being in the car one bit. It was so fun to not have a schedule and to be in such a gorgeous place. I'll just let the pictures do most of the talking from here on out. :)





We both really wanted to go to Pearl Harbor. It was incredible. There is a lot to see there, and we only spent a few hours, but I still loved it. During WWII, more than 3600 officers and crew and 52 submarines were lost in the war at sea. This was a memorial to those brave men.


Our tour of the USS Bowfin:



 We also visited the Pacific Aviation Museum which was very cool.


After our visit to Pearl Harbor, we headed to the airport and that night we flew to Kauai!

1 comment:

Lara H. said...

I loved visiting Hawaii when I was in highschool. I really want Neil to go back for our 10 year! Glad you guys had tons of fun!