Sunday, December 1, 2013

Arlington National Cemetery

The day before my mom and Robin flew home we visited Arlington National Cemetery. Nate had the day off and was able to come with us. I think it was the highlight of any sight seeing we did during my mom's visit. It was a cool, fall day; pretty perfect weather for lots of walking.


Even though we had small, noisy kids with us, I loved seeing all the reminders to be quiet and respectful. It's nice to know there are still places like this where people can reflect and honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

I have never seen anything like it.



John F. Kennedy is one of two U.S. presidents buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

We don't know who this grave belongs to, but we thought we ought to get a picture. :)


This was an incredible view looking down into DC.

On our way to the Tomb of the Unknowns...


The Tomb of the Unknowns is guarded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in any weather, by Tomb Guard sentinels.

Jansen was bothered by the sentinel. I think it scared him a little, and he asked if we could leave. I think he will always remember our visit here though.


After our visit to the cemetery, we drove up by the Capitol and stopped at Eastern Market. 

We grabbed some lunch and snacks and did a little driving around to see houses and neighborhoods on Capitol Hill. I love it when days turn out just how you hoped they would. That's how our Saturday went.

We had to say goodbye on Sunday. We sure loved having my mom and Robin here and made some great memories. 


1 comment:

Monica said...

Jessica, these pictures are absolutely gorgeous. What a neat place to live! Glad that you had a good visit with family. Wish you lived closer so we could come see you too!