Monday, April 16, 2012

Earache

Last night was one of the longer of my mothering career.

Jansen had an earache and the Advil and Motrin weren't even touching the pain. It's one of the worst feelings in the world to be helpless when your child is hurting. (I know, I know, I'm thinking the same thing. Did we really go to medical school only to feel powerless when our own child has an earache? :) ) Jansen and I simply endured the night...catching 30 minutes of sleep here and there. I would start to drift off and then he would cry out in pain. Looking at the clock, begging for the night to be over but praying 6:30 wouldn't come so soon when the girls would wake up. We moved from his bed to our bed to the recliner to the couch...played the Itouch, watched a movie, warmed up washcloths...just one long painful night. At some point in the morning his ear drum ruptured, which was a good thing.

Thankfully today was much better than I anticipated. Jansen slept from like 9-3 and Nate's patient delivered (a baby) during the day instead of this evening when she was scheduled for an induction. So he was home at dinner time! I'm crossing my fingers tonight goes better than last night did.

5 comments:

TravisandTaryn Barrett said...

When carson gets earache's I put 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in his ear and let it sit for a few min then make him roll over and let it drain. It has helped every time. Good luck:(

Heather said...

So sorry! Hope everything looks rosier tomorrow. Sleep well.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you had a lot of pity for the poor guy considering what you went through with your ears. And I have a lot for you considering what I went through. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to do anything much about the pain. It would be so much easier to just have the pain yourself. Tell Jansen I love him and would gladly take his earache if I could.

The Nye's said...

Oh, that's terrible!!! Sounds like you had ear problems too...I didn't know that! Hope things are getting better! Did I tell you that Kyle started getting ear infections again? Weird, huh? He's had two in the last month, but they were pretty mild. Nothing like you guys went through. What is up with these crazy ears?!?!

Kent and Leisy said...

we went through that with ike just a few weeks ago when metta was one week old and kent was working nights. it lasted for THREE days. I seriously prayed that it would rupture- but it never did. I cried to kent and begged him to call in a prescription painkiller for ike but for some reason he's against giving three year olds narcotics :) worst three days of motherhood thus far. earaches are the WORST.