Monday, December 30, 2013

Luray Caverns

I can't remember how I heard about Luray Caverns, but I had it on my list of things to do while we are living out here. The temperature inside the caverns is a constant 54 degrees with high humidity, so it's a great winter activity. Nate and I were worried that one of our kids would refuse to go inside (for a million different reasons), but we showed them some pictures and told them about it and they were all up for it. Our friends the Rasmussens were able to join us, and it was a really memorable Saturday.

The caverns are just incredible. It was like being on the set of a movie or something because it didn't seem real. I can't even imagine being the one to discover a place like this.


 The bottom half of this picture is water reflecting the ceiling.


We are always a roller coaster of emotions and moods with these 3 kids.



Right next door to the caverns is the Car and Carriage Caravan Museum. Definitely random, but it was worth the walk through. As soon as we entered I asked Nate what it smelled like to him and we both said my grandpa Fred's garage at the same time. I thought of him the whole time I was in there because he has always had an interest in (and collects) old cars. They had some really neat things like this old cart that children sat in while goats pulled them.


We needed some fresh air and some space to move around after the caverns and museum. We found a little park in town and played there for a long time. We lucked out with a really nice December afternoon. This was by far the favorite piece of playground equipment, and kids were constantly hanging on for dear life and flying off.


We had an early dinner at a little hole in the wall pizza restaurant. It's always fun to eat at those kinds of places when you are out exploring. We hit some bad traffic on our drive home that brought back memories of driving across the country this summer. Being stuck in the car for hours is always a good exercise in patience for me. :)

1 comment:

Annie said...

Looks incredible! I love days like that where you get to explore something new. I hope you are loving your time there!