Saturday, August 10, 2013

Parenting and Butterflies

I feel like being a mom has been particularly hard lately. It seems like there's been a whole lot of crying, whining, tattling, fighting, disobeying, and door slamming (from the kids). Last night I was pretty darn close to throwing in the towel, getting in the car, and driving far, far away. :) I often feel like there MUST be something I am doing really wrong. Things always feel better after a night's rest, but this morning started off with more of the same. I wasn't sure how much more I could take!!! Sometimes it just seems TOO HARD. How is it this hard? 

I'm learning that in those really, really bad moments I have to remind myself that it will not last. All the really awful days do end. Being a parent is the most amazing, gratifying, heart-overflowing thing in the world, and anything that wonderful doesn't come without a cost. These rough days we have are the other side of this beautiful coin called being a parent. Somehow, some way that I still don't completely understand, it's always totally and completely worth it. This morning things actually went from really bad to good within about an hour. During the fighting and crying this morning I felt like we were in a hole we wouldn't be able to crawl out of, but it just took some time and a few other things and we got back on track. We will go wildly off track again in no time, but there was some reprieve at least. All 3 kids are playing happily and quietly in the playroom right now even.

Anyway, on to butterflies. We all seem to do much better when we get out of the house for a little while in the morning. This outing to Brookside Gardens was last Monday, and it was so cool. We got to be in a little enclosed area with so many beautiful butterflies.



These are HUGE, beautiful, kinda creepy moths.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that butterfly thing is so cool. Any moth that isn't white and dusty is a butterfly in my book. And now what justifies all those houses that have the giant butterfly stuck on them! See they really can be that big!

Lindsey said...

Well said. I think you are an amazing mother and I want so much to be like you.

Sarah said...

I came across your blog through Facebook (this is sarah {sheets} Graden by the way) and I loved this post. It's refreshing to hear that I'm not the only mom that wants to throw in the towel at times ;0) and I love how you mentioned those moments not lasting forever and that you CAN climb out if the hole and get back on track. Brings me hope...Thanks for sharing!!!