Sunday, January 29, 2012

School Lunch

 I like the idea of sometimes having lunch with Jansen at his school, but it's right when Emmy is ready to nap. The lazy bum (Emmy) slept in till like 7 one morning, so I thought it would be a good day to pop in and see him. He didn't know we were coming, and he sure brightened up at the sight of us. 
We made some room for Natalie, and she squeezed in and ate her sandwich with him.

While I was there, I overheard a faculty member that helps in the lunchroom YELLING at a student. I heard her do it at least twice. This was not just a raised voice or a needed reprimand. This was, to me, cruel and mean and out of control. I was NOT okay with her speaking that way to a child. 

I left my name and phone number with the school secretary and asked her to have the principal call me. I missed her call later that afternoon, but I was able to reach her later. I was nervous because I feel like I am very non-confrontational, and I don't express my feelings and thoughts well when I am upset. But I was a mom on a mission, and thankfully the call went very well. The principal was very receptive and helpful. I hope the situation improves. I'll be stopping in more to observe, but I was proud of myself for standing up for how I felt!
 Little Emmy was there too. :)

5 comments:

Heather said...

Good for you Jessica. that is not okay, glad to hear the principal was able to receive your feedback.

Tina said...

I'm so proud of you too. I get really nervous when confronting others as well so I know how you feel. I'm so sorry he has to deal with that environment every day. Not fun at all!! Cloey has "mean" lunch ladies too and complains about how scared she gets around them. Why do they have to be so cruel? It's lunchtime for goodness sakes!! Way to go standing up for not only Jantzen but the other kids in the school as well!!! :)

Kati said...

I'm glad the talk went well too. I really hope things change so our kids can enjoy school. They need that break everyday to unwind from Ms. Roach!!

Anonymous said...

I was terrified of my lunch ladies.

Kendra said...

Your awesome..I am glad you were able to talk to her and do your motherly duties!!